First Impressions at interview:
It’s cliché yes but unfortunately it’s also true: 33% said they claimed to know whether they were going to hire someone in the first 90 seconds.
- 70% of employers don’t want someone overly fashionable or trendy. In conservative professions or client facing roles that will be higher. A surprising faux pas at senior levels is unconventional hair i.e. a bit spiky or gelled. Brightly coloured clothing is also bad albeit rarely a problem at executive level.
- The most important impact is the non-verbal: 55% say dress, posture, your “entrance” is key. 38% will make instant judgements on your voice, grammar and how confidently you speak
- Only 7% say first impressions are gained on what you actually say!
6 Common interview errors
- Too little or too much eye contact
- Limited knowledge of the company
- Too serious/buttoned up: no smiling, warmth
- Bad posture, bad body language i.e. arms folded across chest
- Weak handshake….or too strong!
Part 2 to follow